Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Question - why so long ?

A question was asked about why we take so long to share stuff - when it isn't that big of a deal to SOME ?


The answer is "others" . . .and allow me to share as a Christian psychologist today . . .change comes very slow to many "christians" and others wonder "why?" while some who have no qualms about "change" just "put the pedal to the metal" and GO FOR IT !


68% are listed in a study I was involved with as "SLOW to change" - does that give us any insight into why a leader might think twice about just flipping the switch on change ? After all, God made that 68% to give the "body" stability . . .slow to change means "not quick to run off half-cocked".


NT doctrine includes stable concepts especially for this quality . . .and when Paul introduced the qualities of "ONENESS" in Ephesians 4 - he set the stage with other mindset qualities - "all lowliness, patience, meekness, forbearing one another in agape, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace"


My personal opinion here is that original "dreamers" desired this mindset . . .but disciples of the "dreamer" do not always have it . . .and sometimes "reformers" become restless to "get the show on the road" and lose some of the original goal for people, so people sometimes get lost among the rules.


Christendom needs the whole body to be involved . . .


So - when I started "dreaming" and serious study 4 decades ago, I also ran into friends who absolutely could NOT see my thoughts in any cogent form . . .so as I (not enjoying rejection, don't you know) started putting this down on paper, well, I decided to love first, love second and love last. That caused me to keep redoing my approach . . .knowing that any change is rejected to SOME degree by 68% . . .PLUS another little chunk don't trust any idea they didn't come up with themselves . . .and another group resists anyone who comes across as "selling" anything. Remember - all this has a positive element to it - stability.


SO - how do we ever get anything done ? Well - slowly . . .and with love first . . .second and last. That is one reason I believe God designed "pastor-teachers" to be part of the building up of the body. God wanted shepherds . . .not butchers or even "cowboys".


I close today with a section of Scripture that "stopped me in my tracks" 40 years ago and has had influence on me ever since: "the Lord's servant must not quarrel, but be kind to everyone, gently instructing, forbearing, correcting with gentleness. God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know reality." 2 Timothy 2:24-25.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You never cease to amaze me, Verner, with your commitment to love no matter what!

You've been a tremendous influence on me -- and while I'm not "there" yet -- I'm closer than I was before and that's good!

The verse that "stopped you in your tracks" way back when is the perfect description of how you deal with people (and I've seen it happen over many years!)

I want to be like that -- and you have been an ongoing inspiration to make me want to do that. God must've sent you to me -- and so many others!

Blessings and favor upon you and your marvelous New Covenant Ministry, my friend.

It's ALL Him -- and nothing us!