Sunday, April 27, 2008

Communication of concepts . . .

Translation is DIFFICULT . . .maybe even impossible. Like our Philosopher friends say "You can't step in the same river twice" is supposed to be TOPPED by "You can't step in the same river ONCE" - and they are both trying to make the same point.


Greek has a structure of "emphasis" in every sentence - to one degree or another. So - to write a sentence without somehow noting that is not a full translation. But - in English, it is sometimes thought to be SHOUTING to even capitalize any word. I deny this . . .but I should at least explain what I am saying and HOW I say it - so we can have some communication . . .I try to write like I talk - but "someone" comes along and decides my accent of strange - aye ? Even after he knows I'm raised in Canada - he says, "What's the aye thing ? It bugs me !" To which us Canadians reply - "Is that right aye ?"


Well - I've been in Texas for a few years (OK - about 45 or so) - so I don't use the "aye" thing much . . .in fact I'm sort of a Texan to ME . . .which is met by "HEY, if you're not BORN here - you ain't Texan" Well, I chose to be born close to my mother . . .and she was in Canada at the time - so sorry !


For those of you who cannot stand the WAY I communicate . . .I apologize "going out the gate" - and I will try to be less vociferous . . .in typing . . .my children had an ongoing bet about how long before someone said anything . . .problem is, they also knew that only a few FRIENDS would actually READ this . . .so they were 3 days OFF . . .


So - it was NOT a complaint . . .just a love tap or two . . .and I appreciate all of you who did it and will do so in the future. I LOVE response . . .and I won't ignore you - remember, I might be seeing if YOU love unconditionally and permanently too ! (Yes - I do not like putting the exclamation mark close to the word - the question mark either ! AND - those extra spaces can add up ! Well - sorry - I am 65 and cranky - just kiddin' - the 65 is right . ..but I am a joker - so read with a smile to START with . . .and laugh out loud at the end ! OK ?)


I am weaning myself off capitals . . .no, they are NOT shouting . . .they person who came up with that is an idiot . . .whoops ! AND - since I have enriched text - I will try - TRY to use bold and italics more instead . . .


HOWEVER - sorry - however - Hebrews were one of the most emotional nations ever . . . and Greeks KNEW - whoops - knew - how their sentences were structured - we, well, those of us to try to say it fully - are hamstrung to some extent - and so - struggle with me a little if you will. I do not want anything to diminish a focus on JESUS . . .HE is my life ! BUT - the responsibility of communication IS on the one talking or writing - so I receive your love and resolve to do the best I can - given my age and deteriorating mental conditions . . .plus the inability to be more creative or less creative - whatever you wish ! And - by the way - my Danish dad (rest his soul) used to gripe at me all the time about what he called BLOCK LETTERS. I didn't know until after he died what I was doing that he was so upset about. So - besides all my other problems - I am SLOW.


BUT - I love you - unconditionally and permanently - so allow me to end today with a comment about that. Agape - was a word the Greeks had, but used seldom . . .so Bible context redefined it and taught us a NEW concept - God's love. Most Christians cannot accept that God accepts unconditionally because they don't really intend to . . .so they ignore that whole part of the Bible. Problem is, once we do that, we miss out on a large facet of God's character and relationship with us. During my 65 years, I have had over a thousand people at one time or another tell me they just couldn't accept that God might LIKE us - even though the verse was "God rejoices over you with singing" . . .so sometimes we have to leave people in their mindset until they receive enough information to re-educate their conclusions.


Allow me to ask you to "forbear" me in love - Ephesians 4:1ff. commands that . . .but, just do it because God IS Love and - guess what - HE runs you now . . .and me too. If I could inject that concept into Christendom - the world would change TODAY ! Thanks to those who have commented - and as I promised a couple friends - I'll try from time to time to make a blog LITE - even humorous - so this is one of those . . .I hope my Irish friends are not the only ones laughing - or for those of you who are too dignified - smiling . . .because THEY might well have had a snifter or two anyway with their pint. . .sorry ! And - for those in Scotland, well - I'm a Bourbon guy . . .sorry - slipped back into a former life for a second there !


We say "good morning" or "Good day" (Aussies get it down to a half syllable amazingly enough) - but the original was "God be in your morning" - so English researchers tell me. WOW - so much communication is watered down . . .quite a challenge . . .but I LOVE it . . .and I love YOU - unconditionally and permanently.

No comments: