Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Language - words, words, words.

It has shocked me to read Paul's condemnation in reference to "arguing about WORDS" - 2 Timothy 2:14ff. My commitment to YOU is - I will try to simply share my best study in regards to words. So MANY groups have their own definitions for many words. We just do not have time to argue, dispute, or ________ . (Fill in the blank with the word we might use to dodge Paul's directive !)

That verse helped me focus on Jesus as the only one who gets preeminence ! Plus - HE gets it ALL. (Colossians 1:18)

Jesus is God's story of LOVE - HE is our doctrine, our leader and our friend. (I tend to like the concept of Him being our everything) He paid the price and became "the firstborn among MANY brothers"- Romans 8:29. One covenant concept in this regard is that we "share the same inheritance equally with Jesus, since we get our new identity in HIM" But the context of that thought also says that like Jesus, God works continually on our behalf. And - one conclusion is that if God is FOR us, who could be against us to any real threatening extent ? As a psychologist of 35 years, I can tell you that many, MANY Christians will not allow themselves to think of God being really fully for them. That is one word we just must do better with - the word "FOR" - the context of Romans 8:31 challenges us to think about who can bring a charge against God's kids - once God has justified them ! The answer is nobody and nothing in all creation. However, those who cannot allow themselves to think these thoughts come up with loop-holes for God to not really be FOR us. OK - I know it is a very high thought - but will you just let God be FOR you ? Maybe like Peter said after God poured out His Spirit on Cornelius - "Who was I to withstand God ?"

I have a message to our world due to this thought - and I invite you to join me in a special invitation to all sinners - "Please - will you let me love you ?"

If we take seriously the concept of our being Ambassadors for God and God is making His appeal through us (2 Corinthians 5:17ff.) - isn't it very normal to BEG (that is Paul's concept word in v.20) people to be reconciled to God ?

I can't guarantee things - but I do feel strongly that asking/begging people to "be reconciled to God" is a much more Biblical way to share good news that will have an effect !

That word "reconciled" is one I'd like to see us feel more and use more. God has gone to a LOT of trouble to pay for reconciliation for every creature - so it is something bought and paid for - and available to all. Maybe we don't feel the power of a "reconciled to God" life - at least not enough.

The concept of "covenant grace" makes these words very kind, loving and appealing. Remember David seeking to "show kindness for Jonathan's sake" towards a child of Jonathan's ? Remember the invitation ? We'll deal with that more fully later - but for today - "Come into the Palace and be treated like a King's KID" is just a wonderful invitation to offer on behalf of the King of the Universe !

Allow me to ask you to enjoy your bought and paid for inheritance - and let God's invitation be allowed to be made known in its kindness and excitement ! YOU get to share that glorious invitation - and it is second to none. Well - I assume you might be able to enjoy Palace LIFE yourself and have that experience to talk about. Sounds appealing to me . . .

Words - I haven't had to argue much - but hasn't our subject just made YOU proud of God ? Don't you just almost jump off the ground at how much HE is for you ? (That word phrase - jump off the ground - was a definition of what the phrase "Good News" meant - it was the kind of message that made people leap right off the ground for JOY. I for one think we need an emphasis toward that concept. I plan to live the remainder of my life sharing that with those I talk to - I do know I have Scripture for it - some other approaches I do not feel nearly as comfortable with. Plus - I don't have to argue over words - generally. I know - we can find a way - to argue - I think we can also find a way to NOT argue ! More to come


No comments: