Monday, September 15, 2008

45 - Conceptually, Christ is (3)

Guarantee - a word we all like sometimes, but as someone has said, "No guarantees, but death and taxes." So - allow me to share ONE MORE guarantee - eternal Life.

BUT - how in the world could that be true? Well - by the theological structure I had at the time - I agree - pretty nigh impossible and actually WE DO NOT WANT IT. WHY? Well, we cannot motivate people if they have a guarantee and, while many do not have it - they then jump to the claim that it is not available. Two problems - (1) a guarantee must mean I am perfect - is error; and (2) if I think that when I have a guarantee I won't be motivated by you or anything you say is error as well. FIRST - the assumption is that I can actually do something to make myself perfect focused on my behavior and beliefs. SECOND - we should realize that motivation doesn't HAVE to come from a desire to be perfect or even to be saved!

The FIRST example teaching (structure for redemption/justification of Abram - Romans 3-6) presents a challenge for some - Romans is too "mysterious" - but my reply is - Romans is first principles of salvation/redemption/justification and its implications. So - principle number one in this regard is: Salvation does NOT come by keeping some law. Paul revealed that in chapter 3-5. Romans 3:21 teaches that salvation comes "apart from Law". Verse 20 tells us why - Law isn't focused on Salvation - but revealing our sin. The answer Paul gives is "the faith of Christ" - Romans 3:22. Well, most "translations" say "faith in Christ" - and that is true, but we generally misunderstand that CHRIST is the focus of the concept. In other words, it is in the Genitive in Greek - possessive - so "Christ's faith - but that was what "faith in Christ" was SUPPOSED to mean to Paul's readers and to us. Our problem is that WE would like to be the focus of Scripture - especially if we can get some mileage out of a guilt trip. Well - that is a wrong assumption in ANY correct approach to Scripture. We are NOT the focus of salvation performance - Christ is.

We are the focus of reception of salvation - but Paul is quick to emphasize that salvation is a gift, not of works, not of ourselves - and God is the focus - it is the gift OF GOD, Ephesians 2:1-10. Verses 6-7 tells us that God wanted to SHOW OFF His grace. ALL of that happened when we were dead in sin.

In the Romans context the focus is to believe in CHRIST - note that is doesn't say "believe about Christ" - even though that is helpful at times. So - maybe our task is to really see what that phrase "believe in Christ" actually says. That little phrase "the faith of Christ" helps us realize that HE is the focus of performance; not we . . .HIS works are what saves, HIS sacrifice satisfied God's justice in reference to sin - perfectly. That is one reason Paul wrote in Romans 8:34 - "It is GOD who justifies, who is it that condemns?"

I guess my sarcastic answer is - "Church leaders of all generations"

BUT - the Bible answer is - "NO ONE, NOBODY and NOTHING"

So - GUARANTEE - Paul taught that if the focus is Christ and His performance - and our trusting HIM - then salvation can be guaranteed to EVERYONE - Romans 4:16. It rests on faith - and that focus is JESUS - more to come

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In my early years as a Christian (ages 13-20), I somehow got the impression that my salvation hung by a precarious thread, that If I had committed a sin and had not asked God’s forgiveness before I died, I would go straight to hell. I knew many other Christians who felt the same. I’m not sure how we came to that conclusion, but something tells me it was the preaching we heard while growing up. I don’t remember hearing very many sermons about God’s mercy and grace; however, I do remember hearing a lot about what Christians ought to be doing or not doing: no fornicating, no dancing, no necking, no fellowship with “denominational folks,” no missionary societies, no work of the Holy Spirit apart from scripture, no salvation without baptism, no women taking a lead in corporate worship, no assurance of eternal life, but lots of emphasis on soul winning. I often thought that my salvation hinged on how many people I had brought to Christ. I didn’t what the quota was, but I felt as if the sword of Damocles hung over my head -- not a healthy way to live out one’s Christian walk. When I was in the Preachers’ Training Class at WCC, one of my favourite sermon texts was the judgment scene in Matthew 24 where salvation seems (out of context with the rest of scripture) to teach salvation by works. How many of us sang “Blessed Assurance” without really meaning it. Too many, I fear. It wasn’t until my early twenties that I saw how wrong I had been. So I appreciate your emphasis on the guarantee that Christians have through the cross.